[TYPO3] Using NDASH and MDASH in GIFBUILDER text

Joerg Wagner jwagner at digilog.de
Mon Apr 3 14:49:07 CEST 2006

Hi Joey,

> Did you check if it works for other HTML entities?
> text = XXX - & | YYY
> Should give you    XXX - & | YYY

nope! They do not. But I have to correct my statement a bit:
1.:
–  and   #x2013;  appear as plain text ("– #x2013;") - so they
are automatically htmlSpecialChared without setting the htmlSpecialChar
prop. So are & < > ä etc.
2.:
The latin1 char with charcode 150 appears as a placeholder rectangle instead
as an ndash.
3.:
The entity – actually DOES render an ndash! It is the only one that
does and the only way to enter that character.
4.
doNotStripHTML = 1
is obsolete in this case. It only works on HTML tags, not on entities.

Using a normal TEXT object, ALL four encoding versions result in a nice
ndash as expected!

There is a way to partially solve at least point 1. of the list:
      text.HTMLparser = 1
      text.HTMLparser.htmlSpecialChars = -1
This renders < > & as the corresponding characters into the
resulting image.
But ä – – are all still rendered as strings ("ä
– –") into the image.

Well, using the encoding – there is at least a workaround to output an
ndash (not very handy for editors though). But the whole attitude of
GIFBUILDER seems rather erratic concerning special characters. The only
stable way to get those chars rendered seems to be the &#DEZIMALUTF8;
version of the char entities.

Below is a new TS block to reproduce all cases as GIFBUILDER image
(including the HTMLparser filter for point 1) and as normal text output.
--
Jörg Wagner
DigiLog multimedia

 page.100 = IMAGE