[Typo3] TV 4.0, PHP 5 (5.0.4/5.05) and non-US characters

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Fri Sep 30 12:23:31 CEST 2005

I have got a strange problem on TYPO3 installations with PHP 5 (5.0.4/5.0.5)
and TV 4.0.

If I use non-US characters, ex. å, ø ö ä à etc, in title, mapping instructions
or sample data (in the Building data Structure page) I got the following
error message when trying to look at the XML: The input content failed XML
parsing: Line xx: Invalid character.

The reference to the DS is also broken if I save the DS.

The simple solution is not using any non-US characters.

I don't have the same problem on a installation with PHP 4.4 (TYPO3 3.8.0,
TV 4.0)

I suppose the problem isn't TYPO3, but the XML parsing in PHP. But I make
a post, both to give a solution to others who get the same problem, and to
get some responses from other that have had/has the same problem. And maybe
some who are more skilled in TYPO3 and PHP than me, can find the real solutions
(and if necessary, post a bug at PHP.net).

But I also think this is a problem that should be solved. It's more userfriendly
to have titles in native language.

I make the post both in typo3.english and typo3.dev. Responses should be
given in typo3.dev.

My configurations:
Server 1: Fedora Core 4 X64, Apache 2.0.54, PHP 5.0.4, MySQL 4.1.12, eaccelerator
0.9.3.
Server 2: Windows XP SP2, Apache 2.0.54, PHP 5.0.5, MySQL 5.0.12-beta-nt,
eaccelerator 0.9.3.
Server 3: Debian, Apache 1.3.33, PHP 4.4.0, MySQL 4.1.14 (no problem with
non-US characters)

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no