[Typo3] Typo3+Netscape

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at fm-world.ru
Tue Sep 27 13:20:46 CEST 2005

Hi!

Horn Gábor wrote:
> Hi,
>
> having a doctype in th template is not enough, as typo adds its own
> deoctype declaration. So instead of the template file i usually define
> it in the root template:

Good point except that you can not verify your template in IE if you not
set doctype in template :)

> And althought it helps (as u correctly sad it forces IE to follow the
> appropriate doctype standards), it won't guarantee same appearance,
> simply because a modern template is layouted via css and not table, and
> IE has serious issues with css support (it even doesnt understand such
> basick properties as min-height or max-width).

It works ok with CSS level 1. Other browsers have issues with CSS above
level 2, so I personally never use anything beyond level 1.

> (maybe with conditional css etc)

Again: if you use standards mode (and follow standards precizely) you do
not need tricks with IE 6. Even more, today tricks work but who promises
they will work after the next IE patch or in IE 7?

Just following standards is much better then any tricks.

Dmitry.