[Typo3] Typo3+Netscape

Horn Gábor gabor at h3online.hu
Tue Sep 27 12:55:37 CEST 2005

Hi,

having a doctype in th template is not enough, as typo adds its own
deoctype declaration. So instead of the template file i usually define
it in the root template:

page.config.doctype = <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

And althought it helps (as u correctly sad it forces IE to follow the
appropriate doctype standards), it won't guarantee same appearance,
simply because a modern template is layouted via css and not table, and
IE has serious issues with css support (it even doesnt understand such
basick properties as min-height or max-width).

So what you should do is first make a w3c valid template file and check
it in more platforms and browsers, and it it's okay everywhere (maybe
with conditional css etc) then simply set the above page.config.doctype
and optionally the include for different css files if needed (althought
i would suggest avoid it, and do it on css level if absoultelly
necessary ort you might have problems in the future eg with ie 7.0) and
you are done.

bye, hirisov