[Typo3] subdomain plus domain on same installation

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 05:44:51 CEST 2005

Hi Christoph,

On 23/09/05, Christoph Koehler <christoph.koehler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> I would like to add a new site as a subdomain, totally disconnected from
> the main site on the main domain. So I would like the subdomain address to
> stay in the URL field. But I would like to be able to use my existing
> TYPO3 installation instead of making a new one on the same host.
>
> I tried redirection to the main site from cpanel and use domain records,
> but then the address field changes to the main domain, as well.
>
> This seemed so easy and logical, but I cannot figure it out...
>
> Thanks for the help!

On a cPanel host, here's a way that works - if you don't have the sort
of account that has whm access, you may need to get your host's
support staff to do this for you.

1. WHM

-- Login to whm
-- Click "Park a Domain"
-- For "domain to park on top of" choose 'example.com' (or whatever)
from the list
-- For "domain to park" enter 'subdomainname.example.com

2. TYPO3

-- Login to Typo3
-- Add a domain record to the page that will be the root of the subdomain
-- Enter 'subdomainname.example.com' as in the 'domain to park' field in whm

This will either definitely work for you, or I haven't properly
understood what you're asking ;-)

-Christopher

PS - if you prefer, and if you have root access, check Rene Fritz'
short tutorial on the subject:
http://typo3lab.colorcube.de/Using_subdoma.71.0.html