[Typo3] from a lurker :-) about managing communities/forum

Zach Davis zach at castironcoding.com
Sun Sep 18 01:28:33 CEST 2005

Valery Romanchev wrote:

> Chc_forum is not good for large communities. We test it for www.typo3.ru
> It works very slow with 2000+ messages.
> (beacause no caching was implemented in it)

The problem, actually, wasn't necessarily that caching wasn't present --
all posts, for example, are cached once they're parsed for formatting
tags. That's not to say the forum wouldn't benefit from more built-in
caching; it certainly would, and it's on my to-do list. The problem is
that it's difficult to take advantage of typo3 caching methods with the
forum because so much of the content is tailored to the logged in
frontend user. Of course, I've always felt that the tight integration
with frontend users and groups is one of the strengths of the forum.

The big problem was that there were two major bottlenecks pertaining to
how the forum kept track of which posts a user had read that were
seriously bogging down the forum. I've been profiling the forum code for
the last month, and I believe that these problems have been resolved.
I've populated my development copy of the forum with over 6,000 messages
  and my fe_user table with about 3000 users, and I'm getting page loads
around 1.3 seconds, sometimes less. Before fixing these problems, the
forum would take 10-15 seconds to load the front page if there were over
one or two thousand posts, so we're looking at a speed increase by a
factor of 10-12. I've rewritten how the forum keeps track of new posts
in such way that the functionality is essentially the same, but the
execution time is much much faster, and that seems to making a world of
difference.

This optimization has been possible because I've recently received
sponsorship from the Arnd Messer (thank you, Arnd!) to pay me to spend 8
solid hours on fixing these problems. There is currently a discussion
taking place on typo3.projects.forum about what features people are
looking for and how much people are willing to pledge in sponsorship. I
will soon be releasing a roadmap of planned features and I'll be asking
people in the community to pitch in what they can sponsor some of the
most requested features. If you're interested in seeing the continued
development of the forum, please join in on the discussion on the forum
newsgroup -- I want to hear from users about what works and what doesn't
work with the forum. I also want to hear what features you all are most
interested in seeing implemented.

And, as someone else mentioned, I expect to unofficially release a new
version of the forum on Sunday or Monday by posting a download link to
the extension on typo3.projects.forum -- in the past, the participants
in that newsgroup have been pretty helpful in testing early releases. I
hope to realease the new version in the TER after about a week of
testing, sometime around the following Monday. If you'd like to help out
with the testing, please keep an eye on the forum newsgroup for the
download link.

Zach