[Typo3] Typo3 Documentation in CHM format - where to put it?

Carl McDade carl_mcdade at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 14 13:11:09 CEST 2005

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Carl McDade wrote:
>
>>The reason I am posting this is because I am looking for suggestions on
>>how to best make this file available to all. At present the file is 70mb
>>in size and takes a lot of manual labor with conversion,linking and HTML
>>coding. This is unlike my other projects which can be handled with some
>>regexs and Perl scripting. This is why it is a pay download at present.
>>

>>I have been getting emails about this being unfair to those that can't
>>afford the costs. The complaint being the reason they need a CHM is
>>because of the cost of being online. One very angry person said that I
>>was influencing the popularity of Typo3 with undue capitalism. I have
>>been emailing copies to people, but now even this is starting to
>>encrouch on my time.
>

> People like getting everything for free and rarely think about efforts
> other have to put to make something available. Never understood why
> people *request* something to be free. If one gives it for free - fine,
> if not - its his right to keep it commercial. We all want food after all...
>

> Could you provide more information? CHM is a very intersting option
> (much better than PDFs)! Questions are:
> - what docs are includes?
> - what is the price?
> - what payment methods do you accept?
>
> Dmitry.

The documentation is the entire Typo.org matrix. I have downloaded the
site and the openoffice files and converted them in to HTML that the
Windows Help file compiler can understand. So all extension docs,
tutorial and articles available on the matrix are present. Nothing has
been left out and the language specific documentation has been marked
(ie  DE FR ES) and sorted. This is an ongoing work also. As I read
through the docs in my own work I find typos and mistakes that are
corrected and add in a screenshot if needed.

I have what I thought was reasonable pricing. Rather than charging per
item I charge a subscription rate which covers all downloads. Since I do
more than Typo3 docs I thought this would be fair.

10 usd for 2 months of downloads
40 usd for a year

I also started a free subscription program for those that could not
afford the costs, students, hobbyist and the like. I based this on site
  participation. Writing in the forums or blogging for a period gives a
n automatic upgrade to a level which allows downloading of all files.
The use of english is of course enforced.

Most are satisfied with this setup. But there seems to be something
different about the Typo3 documentation that I have not accounted for.
I have miscalculated the need or the demand I think.

--

Carl McDade - Team Macromedia
http://www.hivemindz.com