[Typo3] Unable to login to BE due to ZoneAlarmPro - solutions - which is better?

Michael Baker mbaker at pobox.com
Sun Sep 11 16:32:41 CEST 2005

I recently upgraded ZoneAlarmPro to version 6.0.667.000.
Since doing so I was unable to login to my typo3 back end.  I kept getting:

Error: This host address ("michael-baker.com") and the referer host ("")
mismatches!
It's possible that the environment variable HTTP_REFERER is not passed
to the script because of a proxy.
The site administrator can disable this check in the configuration
(flag: TYPO3_CONF_VARS[SYS][doNotCheckReferer]).

I am my administrator and I could not disable this check until I loged
in :-( .

Fortunately I found that when I unchecked "Enable Privacy for this
program" for my webbrowser in the ZoneAlarmPro Control Center, the
problem went away. :-)
This is available in the ZAP Control Center  from Program Control |
Firefox | Options | Filter Options

Then when I logged in to the BE I used Install to add the suggested flag
to localconf.php. Now I am able to login with Enable Privacy for Firefox
enabled again.

Does any one have suggestions as to the pros and cons of either of these
methods.

Michael.