[Typo3] typo3 lite version

tapio tapio.markula at dnainternet.net
Fri Sep 9 19:41:13 CEST 2005

Daniel wrote:
> hi to all out there,
>
> i was thinking about the fact that the standard typo3 system requires
> a big amount of system resource of the webserver.
>
> what would you think about a lite version of typo3 for little
> websites? could it be a good idea? i think it is.

yes. I have made *visually* light version - but it takes the same 40 MB
space in the server.
See a screen capture of visually "Typo3 Lite":

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/tm_contentaccess/Screenshots-5cead8df66/

Typo3 has redundand graphic file because of historic reasong (I don't
know what).
It has two /gfx/ folders (plugins use both of them, which cause
difficulties).

I has also two 'tslib' folders, which has almost the same content ( the
another is for frontend and the other for backend).
Taking off all duplicate files would decrease the size of Typo3 quite much.
The default installations installs also *much* unused and unnecessary
plugins.

*ALL* installation packages could be smaller! This would be the first step.

It is easy to install plugins from TER - all existing packages has just
too much unused plugin stuff. The first step is remove all unnecesary
stuff from installation packages.

The next step is to think what plugins are needed for Typo3 Lite package.