[Typo3] access to external data base

Martin Kindler kindlerm at arcor.de
Tue Sep 6 10:24:12 CEST 2005

Hi list,

a few years ago I helped creating a web site using Typo3 (www.hti.bfh.ch)
and I liked it. Now I am working on a project where I have to decide which
open source CMS to be used. Typo3 seems to be a good candidate. But I do not
know how the following problem can to be addressed in Typo3: My application
depends on a proprietary data base from which I have to include elements in
the pages maintained by the CMS (probably Typo3). The data base will is
relational, using MySQL (and if Typo3 is chosen will run on the same machine
as Typo3). The integration will be similar to a shop system: my own DB
containing the goods and presentation of (some) of the goods together with
additional information in Typo3 maintained pages. Is there a standard way,
how to achieve this? Do I have to write a new extension or is there a
generic extension which takes, say a DB table (or better a set of SQL
queries) and maps it to Typo3 content elements?

I do appreciate any advice.

Martin Kindler

cityExperience.net
Dipl. Inf. Martin Kindler