[Typo3] Some problems with Direct Mail (charset/encodin and url in plaintext)

Erik Svendsen erik at linnearad.no
Wed Oct 26 13:19:17 CEST 2005

Some updates

> Hi list.
>
> Hope someone can give me some idea to solve these two problems.
>
> First, the charset problem (I think it something about the charset)
> All my plaintext mails get wrong encoding. They look like this.
> Language
> Norwegian. The HTML mail looks like it should.
> <--- example --->
> Det kan v&aelig;re greit &aring; teste mailen med det meste av
> innhold. Og
> se om det g&aring;r bra
> <--- end --->
> As you see the Norwegian characters æ, ø å are encoded as &aelig,
> &aring e.g.
>
> The text mail has the following encoding when it reach the address.
>
> <--- example --->
> don't look like they are converted.
>
> It has to be mentioned that I'm using Direct Mail with TV. Peter
> Kindström's wikipage
> http://www.infolagret.se/typowiki/index.php/Ext/Direct_mail are used
> for the setting up of Direct mail (thanks Peter).
>
> Could the extension KB Mail Charset be a solution. Or are there other
> ways, either through TS or changing something in the code.

I tried it. Same result on plain text mails.

> My installation is (ISP): TYPO3 3.8.0, Direct Mail 1.1.0, PHP 4.4.0,
> MySQL 4.1.14 (charset Latin1, could be the reason), Linux. Can't test
> at the time on another server, because I have to solve some sendmail
> problems first.

I got Postfix working on my testserver, and could do some testing there to.
Same result. Testserver has following installation. TYPO3 3.8.0. PHP 5.0.4
Apache 2.0.53, MySQL 4.1.12 (charset Latin1), Direct Mail 1.0.8, Fedora Core
4. I also tried update Direct Mail from CSV, bugfix bug 1264. Don't know
if the update are OK, but if -no changes.

> Second problem: The url in plain text mail are wrong. Trying to open
> them give following result. can't find www.example.com.test. (I know
> this is the dummy site in the plaintext TS) The url configuration in
> the Direct Mail are correct, and the template has the following
> sentences in the setup.

> lib.alt_plaintext.renderObj.siteUrl = http://www.my-domain.no/
> <--- end code --->
> Could be that I have to make this work for the whole site, and not
> only the Direct Mail template.

Solved. I had forgotten to set the following in template constant
plugin.alt.plaintext.siteUrl = http://www.my-domain.no/

WBR,
Erik Svendsen
www.linnearad.no