[Typo3] Share template files?

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Sun Oct 23 22:55:12 CEST 2005

A-san wrote:

>Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
>

>>Hi!
>>
>>Amir Mualem wrote:
>>

>>>Is it possible to share a typoscript template record/file between two
>>>pages that are side by side on the hierarchy?  I would like to manage
>>>one template for different sites/subsites.
>>>
>>>http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v289/Amirsan/hierarchy2.jpg
>>>
>>>As you can see in that image, the page circled in blue is the one that
>>>has the template, and the pages circled in red is the pages that I would
>>>like to share the template file with.  I dont want to have to update the
>>>template file for each site either.
>>>

>>1. Create a page under "Root" and put the template there.
>>2. Move all pages inside this new page
>>3. For all pages edit page header and set "site root" check and unset
>>"clear ..." check.
>>4. create extension templates as necessary on each page.
>>
>>This is the easiest way. It has its own drawbacks (for example, you'll
>>have to specify site title in TS instead of tempate record header).
>>
>>More complex way uses sysfolder to store templates and includes them to
>>your site template (just like standard templates do).
>>
>>Dmitry.
>>

>Ok, I have a specific question here.
>
>On step 3 you say to set site root in page header, however I checked,
>and there is no option like that in the page header.  I dont see it
>anywhere.

Make sure to select the "Show secondary options (palettes)" checkbox at
the bottom of the page, then in the   "General Record Storage page:"
section, you should see another checkbox that reads " Is root of website:".

I personally have found it easier to make a sysfolder page, then place
all the templates within this page. When you make a new page tree /
subsite, go into the template of the main page of the subsite, and look
for the box that reads: "Include basis template:" and navigate to your
sysfolder. Keep in mind that the order of the templates within your
sysfolder may affect some things. Make sure your main template is first
in the list when you view the sysfolder in List view. If it isn't, cut
and paste any templates that are above it to lower down in the list.

Alex