[Typo3] Helping new users - was [menu item image gets cut off or truncated]

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Fri Oct 21 22:50:00 CEST 2005

Vincent wrote:

>However, if you will notice in my posting, I was referring to my
>questions about how to use the static templates in which I never got
>a reply.  That was something that would have been a quick answer
>referring me to the correct area of documentation that ended up taking
>me days to find on my own.

Sadly, there are a number of very real reasons why sometimes people
don't get a response to "simple" new user questions, although that
doesn't make it *okay*. Lack of time, and loss of perspective as a new
user are probably the biggest reasons. It's very easy, once you have a
certain level of knowledge and experience, to forget what it is like to
not have that knowledge and experience. To the experienced T3 developer,
"of course" you use the common docs -- everybody knows to look in the
TSref, Modern Template Building, TypoScript By Example, yadda, yadda,
yadda... Lack of time -- well, we all know that one.

>I have seen comments indicating the community would like to know why
>typo3 is not more prevalent than it is and would like to know some of
>the reasons when users choose not to use it.  So, I offered feedback
>from a new users perspective and experiences.

Yes, it is feedback like this that will be most helpful to new users
trying to learn TYPO3. Over the years I have seen more times than I can
count a new user ask a question, then respond to their own question
several days later something like "Anyone...? Little help here...?", and
then never post again. Where do these people go? Who knows? EZpublish?
Drupal? *Nukes? Probably to whatever the first CMS is where they get
answers to their questions and can get their site up and running,
finally. With feedback like this, we can start to examine T3's weak
points and come up with solutions that solve these issues.

Does it mean that everyone on the mailing list will now be more helpful?
Not necessarily. But it does mean that, as it stands now, the support
solutions we have had to date do not do the best job at meeting the
needs of new users. There are thousands of people using TYPO3, but how
few people on the mailing list? There are new users posting all the
time, but very few new long-term community members as a result. I have
even heard of one T3 forum that has around 4000 users. What are they
getting there that they don't get from the mailing lists? What are new
users' needs, and how do they differ from experienced users' needs? What
are current new users' needs, and how do they differ from new users in
the past? As TYPO3 evolves and develops, as marketplaces develop, as the
potential userbase develops, all of our opportunities to help people and
retain users and build a strong community develop and evolve.

Perhaps there are new solutions that extend past "people on the mailing
list need to respond". That is such a simplistic and naive solution to
the problem, and only leads to finger-pointing ("I asked", "you didn't
give enough info", etc.). I talk to people all the time who are helpful,
knowledgable, and willing to find solutions to problems. The solution we
need will bring those with questions together with those with answers,
be it a forum, a wiki, user groups, IM conferences, conventions, etc. In
the past, a lot of frustrated new users just left the group. With
feedback like this from all new users we can work towards a medium that
will provide the necessary connections and flow of information that will
help us all out and turn new users into experienced users.I am a firm
believer in the notion that every problem is just an opportunity waiting
to be solved. We should all be like Raji: "Don't be hatin'.. start
participatin'!"  :)

Alex