[Typo3] Helping new users - was [menu item image gets cut offor truncated]

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Fri Oct 21 22:23:20 CEST 2005

>> I'd like to remind you that four separate people answered your thread
>> and suggested solutions. Just because nobody was actually able to
>> _solve_ your problem doesn't mean that no one is "...willing to spend
>> 2 or 3 minutes..." to help or that you're being "ignored". I think
>> that's actually a pretty dishonest characterization of the response
>> to your question.
>
> Yes, I did get several responses to other problems and I apologize if
> I made it sound as though I was not giving those people credit for
> attempting to help even though the problems were not solved.
>
> However, if you will notice in my posting, I was referring to my
> questions about how to use the static templates in which I never got
> a reply.  That was something that would have been a quick answer
> referring me to the correct area of documentation that ended up taking
> me days to find on my own.

Well - there might be a very good reason why nobody helped you with the
static templates:
People who are using the static templates were not able to and people who
would have been able to (like me for example) are not using static
templates.
TYPO3 is a CMS that is used by many professionals and none of them would
ever think about using a static template due to the fact that their clients
want their own special CI look and feel plus additional functionality.
Maybe there are some beginners who are not so advanced that they were able
to produce their own and thus using the static templates, but these are
surely not the candidates for helping other beginners.
For example even  though I have been working as a professional with TYPO3
for more than 3 years now I haven't even seen some documentation about the
static templates due to the fact that I never used them for any site.

And there is another reason: Having a community doesn't mean that you will
always get help for each and every problem like from a professional hotline
or helpdesk (and even these paid hotlines sometimes won't be of much help
since there are just some callcenter agents without technical knowledge)
Maybe there are people who can help, but they don't have the time.
Maybe there are people who have the time, but simply don't know.
And maybe there would have been people able to help, that would have given
you some paid lessons.

And if it took you days to find these docs, maybe you should reconsider your
searching techniques.
Google gives you a few thousand hits for things like "TYPO3 template green",
"TYPO3 template glueck" or "TYPO3 documentation start"

And BTW: In your thread about the problems with the template GREEN you
didn't tell anybody that you were using this template except from the last
post.
What do you expect? Some fortunetellers with crystal spheres?

I think the first thing you should try to learn is how to ask questions in a
way, that will enable people to help you.
Give them enough information and they will do what they can to solve the
problem.

Have a nice day and much succes with TYPO3

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.openbc.com/go/invuid/Jo_Hasenau