[Typo3] TYPO3, UTF8 and Chinese

Bernhard Kraft kraftb at kraftb.at
Fri Oct 21 06:10:24 CEST 2005

Christian Melchior wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am in the process of finetuning Typo3 for a chinese learning site (a
> mix of chinese and danish), and have run into a few problems:
>
> - RealURL doesn't work with chinese characters?
> - Graphical menu's doesn't show anything?

This was dicussed shortly ago on the core list and AFAIK the newest version
of realurl already has a fallback if the titles are not displayable in ASCII (which is required for URLS)

If this does not work you could of course set the alias of the page to the english title: If an alias is
given for a page this label will get used instead of the Title for the realurl path.

For utf-8 characters to work with GIFBUILDER you need to set:

$TYPO3_CONF_VARS["SYS"]["t3lib_cs_convMethod"] = 'iconv';   //  Modified or inserted by TYPO3 Install Tool.
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS["SYS"]["t3lib_cs_utils"] = 'iconv';  //  Modified or inserted by TYPO3 Install Tool.
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS["SYS"]["multiplyDBfieldSize"] = '3'; //  Modified or inserted by TYPO3 Install Tool.

and need iconv installed.

further you require a font which contains your required characters as others already pointed out.

greets,
Bernhard