[Typo3] Some feedback to TYPO3 marketeers

Ben Sauer ben at escapecommittee.com
Mon Oct 17 18:53:36 CEST 2005

From: "Chris Paige" <chris at ready-set-go.biz>
> If Kasper's morals clause gives Christoph permission to use this list to
> offer "Please consider this" theological arguments, then perhaps I will
need
> to rethink my participation.  I think this is just the kind of harassment
> that Rahul may be concerned about!!!  Because of Christopher's note, I am
> now concerned about it as well.
>
> I am interested in what the rest of the community feels about this -- not
> just Christopher's opinion...

Agreed. This is no place for theology. The main question of whether it is
appropriate to preach these beliefs through a piece of software has been
lost.

As a new user, I share the concern over whether certain projects may be
refused even paid help by the community on the basis that they go against an
ambiguous set of rules, e.g. something as broad as the term 'New Age'.

Christoph wrote:
> I don't think anyone will riducule you. I am a Christian and won't do
> that, no worries. If you do publish anything that goes against the bible
> though, don't expect any help from me.
> But making fun of you or being 'mean' in any other way is never the right
> thing to do.

Christoph is only confirming this fear by writing this ill-judged statement
above. I also wonder how many others would share his reluctance to help a
project that *possibly* goes against their interpretation of a religious
document.

Sander wrote:
> Can we just stop this? .... Kasper is only modesty asking something which
you are free to ignore or respect. Big deal...

I think it's important to get to the bottom of this issue. If decision
makers are put off by a bias such as this, then it is detrimental to the
acceptance of typo3, which is a marketing concern, surely? It's not a
question of being able to use typo3 if your project 'goes against the
bible', it's a question of whether this might affect future support and
decision making by core members.