[Typo3] Some feedback to TYPO3 marketeers

Vincent typo3 at crel.us
Mon Oct 17 18:31:37 CEST 2005

On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 10:16:38AM -0500, Christoph Koehler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:58:31 -0500, Rahul Dewan <lists at srijan.in> wrote:
>
> > Most New Age publications talk about Humanistic values which are
> > integrating for the world. Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. are all based on
> > universal values of love and compassion  which is not different from
> > Jesus's message in any way. And New Age is about Humanistic values. And
> > in case, I start publishing things against, conservative and
> > shallow-minded approach of people around the world, I would probably
> > have to face ridicule from the Typo3 association or some lobby at Typo3
> > - this is a thought, that scares me.
>
> I don't think anyone will riducule you. I am a Christian and won't do
> that, no worries. If you do publish anything that goes against the bible
> though, don't expect any help from me.
> But making fun of you or being 'mean' in any other way is never the right
> thing to do.

I think your comment, "don't expect any help from me", does support
Rahul's concerns.  Not so much from a fear of being ridiculed, but from
a greater concern that, the developer/support community might turn their
back on us and attempt to enforce their interpretation of Kasper's
wishes, in effect banishing us from the user community if we post
comments, statements, or articles on our web sites that expresses
political or religious views that they disagree with.   If we invest
a lot of time and resources into using typo3 for our web sites, and run
into any kind of serious technical problems and need help, that can
become a serious issue.

This is not really an issue with any other open source project I know of
because the user community is diverse.  However, if the typo3 community
repels users who do not share the same views that may not be as true.
By repel or banish, I mean doing such things as refusing to help them,
so that they might be forced to go away and choose other projects,
causing the the typo3 community to be screened and mostly be composed of
people who share those same views.

Kasper's comments alone did not really give me that much concern, but
comments such as yours are more likely to.

If there are enough people in the typo3 community that do not feel the
same as you, that may never be a problem.  However, there may be no way
to find out for sure until we have committed to using typo3 and have all
our content up for public view.  So it is understandable that it might
be a concern for new users, not yet knowing what to expect down the
road after they are committed, if they run into a serious problem and
need help,

Typo3 is the only project I know of so far that has expressed wishes for
political and religious restrictions, so this is new and potentially
concerning territory IMHO.