[Typo3] Some feedback to TYPO3 marketeers

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Mon Oct 17 02:11:44 CEST 2005

> Likewise, there is probably a reason most "ordinary" users prefer
> forums. ;) Forums also allow you to put threads into categories. As it
> is now, to add a category to a mailing list you need to add  a new
> list.

There's a very simple reason why you should not use a forum even though
"ordinary" people might prefer it:
It's the "ordinary user" who asks the questions, but in most cases it will
be the "professional" who is expected to answer.
I don't expect many of the TYPO3 professionals to ever visit such a forum,
no to mention they would ever answer a post there.

Just to speak for myself: I would never answer any forum thread just because
I don't have the time to
1. go to the website
2. login with my username
3. look in the different categories if there is something worth to answer
4. write the answer or just kepp it in mind to come back later and repeat
the whole story

With the NG it's just one click away from the mails I check every 30 min.
After that it takes just some seconds to browse the threads for something
interesting and usually I will give an answer within just a few hours, when
I find the time to do so.
I guess most of the TYPO3 pros here do it exactly the same way.

So if you want high quality answers, stay away from forums and stick to the
newsgroups.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.openbc.com/go/invuid/Jo_Hasenau