[Typo3] Some feedback to TYPO3 marketeers

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sun Oct 16 19:43:33 CEST 2005

Hi Dimitri,

>> > If your argumentation against forums was true, the majority of
>> > online communities would use newsgroups instead of forums. This,
>> > however is not the case.
>>
>> Really?  Do you have any numbers?
>
> Easily. To compare apples to apples, get a list of CMS from cmsmatrix
> and see how many of them have forums and how many have newsgroups.
> You'll find some that have _both_ (which is exactly what I am rooting
> for) but the number of those that have newsgroups but no forum will be
> very small.

I guess the reason for this is very simple: A forum is ready in 30 minutes
while the newsserver took several weeks until it was running like it is
now. A newsserver (especially INN) is ugly complicated and I think this is
why nobody wants to provide it (even Sourceforge doesn't).

However, I have not seen anyone who prefers mailing lists over newsgroups
once he knew about it (can't compare with forum users).

>> Well, we see, that this depends a lot on how one is working.  I'm
>> subscribed to several mailinglists and I'm _very_ glad, that these
>> are no online forums.  Now I have all of them in one place and I'm
>> not forced to visit several websites to stay uptodate.
>
> True, that's why I am not saying "let's scrap" newsgroups. I am saying
> "let's build a forum that would sync to them".

OK, so let's do that! You are welcome to join the discussion in
typo3.teams.typo3org. Currently, our biggest problem is that there doesn't
seem to be a software that fits all our needs.

>> And, as Michael already mentioned, I have the messages right at
>> hand, even when I'm offline.
>
> I am never offline, so I don't care for that.

Good to know!

>> I can't understand the problem about searching posts:  We have a
>> list-archive that _is_ searchable.
>
> How about the fact that, say, install-linux only has the stuff
> starting Jan 2005? (Last time I checked).

This is true. However the old posts are stored and will be published again
as we have found a solution to publish.

>> Unfortunately, there is no working T3 extension that can be used as
>> a mailinglist archive ;-(
>
> And that's probably the key to the problem.

The key to the problem is that this extension (yes there is one) is terribly
slow. If anyone wants to make it faster, please go ahead (the extension is
called "maillisttofaq").

- michael
--
Use a newsreader! Check out