[Typo3] Some feedback to TYPO3 marketeers

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Sun Oct 16 05:23:26 CEST 2005

Christopher,

On 10/15/05, Christopher <bedlamhotel at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > software?!); the organization that issued the rfp would _itself_
> > > almost indubitably have preferred _not_ to use software authored in
> > > part by a developer who didn't share their aims...I could go on.

> The point that the original poster made was that Kasper's polite
> request may turn some people off using Typo3. In the context of the
> supposed difficulty of marketing Typo3 to North American users, this
> is almost surely irrelevant.

I am sorry, Christopher, but it looks to me like you are either
contradicting your own statements, or referring to the segment of the
market that may be turned off as irrelevant. True, if Typo3 is your
"mission from God" and not merely a software project, it is irrelevant
(like pretty much everything else secular). Or, I misunderstood you
again.

> Just looking around, I see far more people and organizations choosing
> not to use Typo3 & similar software on the bizarre grounds that it's
> open-source than I have ever seen or known to reject Typo3 on the
> basis of this very, very minor issue...

I agree. However, while rejection of the open source is the problem
that can only be solved by fixing perceptions of individual clients,
this very, very minor issue may only be fixed by fixing Typo3 itself.

> PS - sorry, Dimitri, about the unnecessary 'troll' remark; I just
> don't get how this is such a problem...

Well, I don't know. The mere fact that we are discussing this at all
is a problem, don't you think? I don't think you typically discuss
questions like this at work or with clients, right? (I may be wrong
again in my assumption that Canada is like US or that you are not
working for a church, but this is me, I am always assuming). And mind
you, it's not me and not Simon who started the subject of religion,
it's Kasper.

Take care,

--
Dimitri Tarassenko