[Typo3] using typo3 to change records in a remote database?

W van Bruggen w.van.bruggen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 13:10:06 CEST 2005

Hello list,

I'm trying to work out a scenario for a specific problem. We have
developed a custom, non-typo3 system in which, depending on the
answers a user has given, certain texts are displayed. At the moment
these texts are not editable, although they are located in a database.

What i'd like to achieve is to be able to edit these texts in typo3,
and saving them in the remote database. I don't really know anything
about accessing remote databases in typo3, have searched the list but
couldn't find anything matching this specific case.

Also, i couldn't find any info is this is possible using typo3
functions within a plugin, which i think is the way to go here.

What would be the best is to have a separate functionality withing the
Web part of typo3, similair to Web->Direct Mail or Mailformplus, in
which this extension is used and which lets the user edit the records
in the remote database, and saving them in the remote database. I
don't see any other way of implementing this within typo3, not without
having separate database records that need to be synced with the
external database table, which i don't find a very elegant solution.

Is this the way this has to go within typo3, or am i thinking in the
wrong direction?

Greets,
Wietse van Bruggen