[Typo3] templates: what's the best strategy?

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Fri Oct 14 04:16:42 CEST 2005

Jamie Evans wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm new to Typo3 and I'm trying to figure out how to build my main
>template.  I'm not the smartest programmer, and I really don't
>understand typoscript...I got it to display the content in my
>template, but I haven't found a lot of documentation on the syntax.
>I'm tempted to just bypass typoscript and do it all with php in the
>pagegen file (I'm very comfortable with php). However I run into

NOOOOOOO We all are but please don't hack core!!!
bette rmake a extention IF not possible with TS, but never hack core
(bad bad bad....)

>problems there too when I try to access certain content-producing
>functions.  Below are some specific questions on my mind.  Any advice
>would be greatly appreciated.
>
>1.  typoscript or php, what's the best strategy?

Typoscript.. unless not possbile with TS...

>2.  How do you implement multiple queries in typoscript? example:
>      page.10.value = [sys_template:sitetitle] " : " [tt_content:title]

if you want the page title you can do this
page.10 = TEXT
page.10.value = {page:title}
page.10.insertData = 1
(top of my head)

I am not sure what you are tyrying to do with tt_content title...
Possible you are using classic, I always used to templavoila (just give
it a try.... itr's really good!!! )

>3.  How do I access the php incarnation of the typoscript functions?
>example:
>       making the following function work in php (i.e pagegen):
>             temp.mainTemplate.content = CONTENT
>             temp.mainTemplate.content {
>               table = tt_content
>               select.orderBy = sorting