[Typo3] templates: what's the best strategy?

Jamie Evans jamie at gravityhouse.org
Thu Oct 13 22:09:56 CEST 2005

Hello,

I'm new to Typo3 and I'm trying to figure out how to build my main
template.  I'm not the smartest programmer, and I really don't
understand typoscript...I got it to display the content in my
template, but I haven't found a lot of documentation on the syntax.
I'm tempted to just bypass typoscript and do it all with php in the
pagegen file (I'm very comfortable with php). However I run into
problems there too when I try to access certain content-producing
functions.  Below are some specific questions on my mind.  Any advice
would be greatly appreciated.

1.  typoscript or php, what's the best strategy?
2.  How do you implement multiple queries in typoscript? example:
      page.10.value = [sys_template:sitetitle] " : " [tt_content:title]
3.  How do I access the php incarnation of the typoscript functions?
example:
       making the following function work in php (i.e pagegen):
             temp.mainTemplate.content = CONTENT
             temp.mainTemplate.content {
               table = tt_content
               select.orderBy = sorting