[Typo3] accessible font size?

Chris Paige chris at ready-set-go.biz
Mon Oct 10 17:36:02 CEST 2005

> I never knew about that issie in AOL browser.... sounds stupid but like
> you say... we have to live with that...

It is *very* stupid!!  Just discovered this as I launched a website for a
client who actually uses the AOL browser.  All my wonderfully scalable fonts
were unreadable and I couldn't even tell her a convenient way to change them
(you have to exit AOL, adjust IE text size settings, and then go back into
AOL browser).  Actually, my client was glad to hear about this cause from
AOL because she thought she was crazy when she wasn't able to us the UPS (or
was it USPS) website because the font came up unreadable.  As more sites
become accessible, it seems like AOL users are going to get more and more
confused...

> CSS and java sounds like the answer I think....

I was worried about Java as not everyone has it installed.  But I wonder if
that's not a problem with my main workaround AOL audience...

Still, I think that a server side solution through Typo3 could be an elegant
solution that would work for everyone.  I could still use ems in my page
layout.  And the user would have the choice of scaling through browser
settings (for the educated) or through a link to the alternate page type
structure (for the uneducated and those with backwards browsers).

I want to provide quality, accessible web services to this kind of clueless
audience -- so I don't want to resort to the "you're using a stupid browser"
approach.  AOL users who listen to me are likely to start working with
another browser and then get frustrated because they don't know how to
update Java plugins and all the rest...

Chris