[Typo3] Internmittent problem rendering PHP on Suse Linux / Apache

Heckmaenner Webmaster webmaster at heckmaenner.de
Thu Oct 6 09:22:13 CEST 2005

I am facing a strange behavior on my new dedicated web server. It is running on Suse Linux 9.2 with Apache. During Installation I never experienced this problem and strange enough it is only occurring intermittently and can occur at any given location.

Problem: The server will not render the PHP file, which makes the browser offer to download it as a text file (you know: the "save or run" prompt).

The same problem happens with both IE and Firefox. It can happen when I access the actual website front-end or the typo3 backend. Sometimes I can work for several minutes without problems in the backend, than it occurs when I want to save something or just press any button. When I cancel the prompt and try the same thing again it might work - sometimes it takes several attempts then it works.

I realized that the problem is gone for a short while once I restart the apache. I can't find anything in the httpd error log.

Has anybody experienced such strange behavior before?

Thanks,
Andy