[Typo3] 500000 images in /typo3temp folder

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Wed Nov 30 21:55:53 CET 2005

Valery Romanchev wrote:
> Hello
> I have some support tasks on TYPO3 site which has nearly 350000 images in
> /typo3temp folder and will have more in short time.
>
> This images are prodused by a custom extension, something like
> photo-gallery.
> System works on FreeBSD.
>
> Can this large number of files produce problems?

Yep, although the number of files can theoretically be really large, UFS
doesn't scale with such huge numbers. E.g. looking up a file (or doing
ls) scales linearly with the number of files.

> I consider to rewrite this custom extension, or may be simply correct TS of
> it.
> I think alternativeTempPath with some conditions to original file date can
> solve this problem.
> So I think it is good to have something like this:
> /typo3temp/200511/
> /typo3temp/200512/
> /typo3temp/200601/
> etc

Definitely the way to go. You will see performance improvements and
increase maintainability.

Greetings,
Michael