[Typo3] Error: The main frontend extension "cms" was not loaded. Enable it in the extension manager in the backend.

rodrigo cea public2 at altamira.cl
Mon Nov 28 18:53:43 CET 2005

I had a fully working, typo3 3.7 site until today. Now the frontpage says:

"Error: The main frontend extension "cms" was not loaded. Enable it in
the extension manager in the backend."

If I log into the backend, I get the regular BE but with no text (only
icons), and no links, so I can't do anything with it at all.

If i go into www.sitename.com/typo3/install it says:

Install Tool is not loaded as an extension.
You must add the key "install" to the list of installed extensions in
typo3temp/localconf.php, $TYPO3_CONF_VARS["EXT"]["extList"].

I tried manually adding the key, but I still get the same error.

As you can imagine, I am seriously scared. I have been talking with the
hosting company, but they're no help.

Any help is much appreciated.
--

Rodrigo C.