[Typo3] 2 simple(?) FE user questions

Eric Blom ericb at piap.com
Mon Nov 28 01:29:39 CET 2005

Thank you Benhard for your reply to my questions. I  hadn't seen this
lifetime setting before.

 From install tool:
"Integer, positive. If >0, the cookie of FE users will NOT be a
session cookie (deleted when browser is shut down) but rather a
cookie with a lifetime of the number of seconds this value indicates.
Setting this value to 3600*24*7 will result in automatic login of FE
users during a whole week."

It seems to me that lifetime is really auto login. Even in the
description of this setting sessions, auto login, and lifetime are
all mentioned.

I'm trying to get Typo3 to perform like a normal web site such as My
Yahoo.
     1) If you login and then close your web browsing application
your session is no longer valid. Therefore, if you open you web
browser again and go to the site you have to log in again
     2) If the web browsing application is left open and you login
there is a fixed number of seconds of inactivity before the session
expires.
     3) The user has the option of selecting a checkbox when the
login that sets a cookie that will automatically start a new session
when the visit my site again even if the browser has been closed and
reopened.

To me a non zero lifetime setting in Typo3 accomplishes #3 only.

As you suggested Benhard it seems that the only way to accomplish all
three points above is with a core XCLASS extension.

Regards,
Eric