[Typo3] Frontend stays white after switch to PHP5

Torsten Schrade schrade at lineara.de
Sat Nov 26 12:52:36 CET 2005

Robert Fink:
> Check your /var/log/apache2|httpd|whatever/error.log file for PHP debug
> output. PHP5 forbids some constructs that PHP4 allowed (for example array
> syntax, declaring variables more than once, ...). I'm quite sure that you
> have 1+ frontend-plugin installed that does comply with these rules.
>
> lg, r.

Thanks for your answer Robert - but this doesn't seem to be the problem.
Logfiles are ok - no entries. The problem has to be something more basic
(or bizarre?)... something concerning the rendering of pages by TSFE.

I've traced down two more strange facts:

a) I can replicate the problem on a local windows machine using XAMPP
with php5 and a dump from the linux server - again, no frontend output

Therefore, this might have nothing to do with the OS or a
misconfiguration of php5 but with something that happens when the
templates are parsed. This presumption is hardened by the following:

b) When I use the typo3 testsite package with php5 it gives me a perfect
frontend output - on the local machine as well as on the server :-o.
Something seems to be set in the TS-Templates from testsite package but
NOT in my own templates. But what has this to do with PHP4/5? With PHP4,
those TS Templates worked perfectly...

And then, when I make a new page and click "Create Template for new
Site" resulting in the usual "HELLO WORLD" template immediately there's
no more frontend output for this particular page... (Btw, I'm using
Typo3 3.8.1)

So, if anybody has some ideas on this please don't hesitate to enlighten me.

Cheers, Torsten