[Typo3] Typo3 and Linux (and "philosophical" problems with typo3 adoption)

seml at symbulos.com seml at symbulos.com
Fri Nov 25 13:27:06 CET 2005

Dear friend,

I think I was really trying to express a more general
discomfort with the fact that the whole of typo3 support
websites seem to be geared towards people using proprietary
technology, in particular MS Windows and MS Internet
Explorer.

This issue is slowing down adoption of typo3 in our company
(and at our customers sites), and possibly stopping it
altogether.

We are indeed strongly conviced on the use of OS, which we
tend to use whenever possible both on server and desktop
side, marketing it also to our customers. So to see that
the recommended client is Internet Explorer 5+ on Windows
(seehttp://typo3.org/download/system-requirements/ ) or
that some of the features do not work if you do not have MS
Internet Explorer (RTE?), that the Getting started is
geared to Windows user, gives us a pretty creepy feeling.
unless the documentation is out of date.

I apologise, it is a constructive critique, because the
products looks pretty powerful and features-rich, but this
issue is particularly relevant. You can understand what we
do at www.symbulos.com, so you understand why the fact of
being OS geared is so relevant. I am not even saying that
the documentation / presentation must be only OS geared,
but that OS option and proprietary option should have the
same weight.

I spent some time collecting information. I am trying to get
some more information to take with me to the next
shareholders meeting (next Monday), in order for the
assembly to be able to make a decision whether adopt it or
not. By the way, I am the managing director, but not a
shareholder, so I can only convince the shareholders (but I
have to be convinced myself before).

Thanks in advance.

Corrado

--
symbulos uk ltd, co. no. 5441973, UK VAT reg no. 865302135
website http://www.symbulos.com