[Typo3] Get some real money to finance Typo3

Matthew Manderson matthew at manderson.co.uk
Fri Nov 25 10:38:31 CET 2005

> Why not get some more money for Typo3?

This opens up the very big discussion about what is TYPO3?

Is it a free project that requires every penny it can get to help partly
compensate those that contribute huge amounts of their time to the project.

or

Is it going to be the greatest CMS the world has seen knocking both the
expensive and low quality CMS's out of the market.

Both scenarios require different strategies.

I have my doubts whether Open Source can remain non commercial if they ever
were. The question will always be, how is progress or success measured.
Normally this is in cash but in terms of say Linux it is probably more
about server control. With say Firefox it is more about browser penetration
at this stage. How is Firefox funded? Clearly a lot of cash and capital
flows through that organisation how is it raised?

Somewhere along the line the product must be 'sold'

I think if we understood the roadmap for TYPO3 better we could come up with
truly imaginative ways to help the project better in ways we all are able
to contribute.

Human capital remains the most valuable.

What does the association say, do you need more cash or human capital? Are
the two directly related? Will you decide this behind closed doors? Is it
even worth having these conversations?

Matthew