[Typo3] Typo3, CivicSpace and Drupal

Rahul Dewan [Srijan, India] lists at srijan.in
Tue Nov 22 13:16:43 CET 2005

Hi Mike,

>I need to set up an online collaboration website where users can pool
>together their views and ideas on particular political issues. It would
>be a "think tank" created by collaborative authors and the outcome will
>be to construct a political platform for a political party.

We are looking to build such an online Civic and Political campaign tool
including some Democratic way of arriving at Action areas. Our plan is
to build tools on the lines of MoveOn.org. We're infact looking around
for sponsorships writing such a Typo3 extension. It would turn out to be
a really cool e-advocacy/e-democracy tool.

>however if I could solve all my issues with just
>one product it would be ideal.

That's the idea. Typo3 is well suited for this.

>can I configure Typo3 to play the same role(s) as CivicSpace?

I do not know much about Civic Space, but having read the Features
briefly, I believe, we're out to build similar tools on Typo3, and
create a ready-to-implement platform for political and civil campaigns.
Ofcourse, some extensions are already available

>If Typo3 would suffice, which modules would make it similar to CivicSpace?

There are already extensions for Blogging, Discussion Forums,
Polls/Surveys. Even for Event Management, Robert Lemke, has written an
extension. We've written an extension for Discussions (Forum) with
Document upload features (it's a bit rudimentary, but can be cleaned and
improved much more); we also have a really cool Photo Gallery now, and
investing much more into it. So I think one can pretty much cover all
the features available in Civic Space, and build the rest of the features.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Rahul Dewan