[Typo3] RealURL For Dummies?

Martin S shieldfire at gmail.com
Sat Nov 19 05:21:14 CET 2005

2005/11/17, Sandip Bhattacharya <sandip at lug-delhi.org>:

> Floyd Arguello wrote:
> > A-san, I agree with you on some points; Typo3 is a great program with
> > inconsistent documentation. I don't think it's necessarily an English
> > as a Second Language issue; I think the problem stems from the fact
> > that programmers aren't technical writers, and have such an advanced
> > knowledge of their product that they don't necessarily consider the
> > simple stuff. At the same time, who's going to document their product?
> > Are you willing? It's a complaint with no easy and apparent solution.
> > I think I can write some good tutorials on some of the extensions and
> > plugins I've used, but I don't have the time. I'm sure a lot of people
> > have that same issue.
>
> You have got the main point here. The authors are not (yet) great
> technical writers, and many a times mix up the flow of their
> writeups. :-P
>
> As a long time web developer with lots of technical writing experience,
> I have nevertheless always been amazed with the attention paid on the
> width of documentation on Typo3. I have yet to see an Opensource
> project with so much documentation.
>
> I agree with most of what you've written.
However, one Open Source project recognized for its excellent documentation
is Gentoo Linux.
Many of the people working on reorganizing the Typo3 documentation (and I
believe there are such people) would learn *a lot* by looking at how that
documentation is organized.

Also, I still don't understand the Typo3 culture. The only time there really
are lots of answers to a post is when there is someone criticizing Typo3
culture or docs. (Yeah, I know it's mostly unfair, but there is some point
in it from frustrated users view).

There is a distinct difference between the will to help new-comers to Typo3
and the will to help new-comers to Gentoo. The most obvious differences are
agonizingly evident by comparing the Gentoo forums and gentoo-users mailing
list to this list/ng.

Martin S
Regards,

Martin S