[Typo3] Page Content Reuse

Vincent vs1 at crel.us
Fri Nov 18 09:23:25 CET 2005

Hi.
Sorry about the slow response.

On 2005-11-08, Bill Taroli <bill.taroli at billsden.org> wrote:
> Vincent wrote:

>>> Argh! Chalk up another "I just answered my own question" posting... I
>>> kept overlooking "Insert Records". My bad.
>>>

>> Also, if you use *TemplaVoila*, it has a nice feature for this that is
>> even quicker and easier
>
> Interesting. For now, though, I'm trying to keep things a little simpler
> by just using CSS-styled TS templates. I may play around with TV and see
> whether it might be a better way to go later on... it is still
> officially beta, right?

Yes, to the best of my knowledge.  However, there seems to be a lot of
movement toward using it for production sites.  As I learn it,
I understand why.  It is very nice.

I am also a newbie still learning TemplaVoila, so I may or may not be
correct on anything I say :-).

> I have an interesting behavior with this that I would like to follow up
> on though. Namely, it looks like when I update the base record of this
> linked content, the references don't get recached? This doesn't really
> honor the original intent of linking the content... namely, that I have
> only one copy that needs to be updated to affect it wherever it appears.
>
> What I have is a pair simple text content records that I have included
> on two other pages via "insert record" (one record that includes both of
> the original content record references). When I update the actual
> records, the linked content records aren't removed from the cache. I
> either have to go and touch the "insert record" or empty the cache,
> which seems counter to my goal.

I tested this on my machine, NetBSD, Typo3-3.8.0 using php-4.4.0, without TV,
and did not have that problem.  After changing the base element, I reloaded the
page in the FE that has an element reference that I created using
_Insert records_ and saw the change immediately.

I think I saw in one of your more recent postings that you are running php-5.
It is possible that your problem is related to that.  I know they say that not
every thing in typo3 is working with php-5 yet.  Also, I know that TemplaVoila
does not work correctly with it.  I tried it and my problems went away when
I downgraded to php-4.4.0.

> Is there a better way to accomplish this, or could I have an issue in my
> setup? If TV would help avoid this problem, I'd certainly consider it.
> But from my newbie view, that just seems to be ramping the learning
> curve even higher at the moment. ;-)
>
> Bill

Yes, I was concerned at first about the extra learning curve for TV also.
However, after going through the quickstart and the MTB tutorials, the FTB (TV)
tutorial is going pretty well.  The learning curve is not bad, even though
there are currently a few inconsistencies between the tutorial and reality
where it is apparently not up to date yet.

After going through part of the tutorial, I decided to go straight into the FTB
method of creating our web sites.  It is looking like the time saved in the
much easier method of integrating templates and the far greater flexibility is
going to be much greater than the time of learning the extra FTB tutorial.

--
Vincent Stemen
Avoid the VeriSign/Network Solutions domain registration trap!