[Typo3] eu_ldap can only find 0 users

Bill Taroli bill.taroli at billsden.org
Thu Nov 17 23:11:32 CET 2005

Søren Vedel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed eu_ldap but I can't get the users in Active Directory.
>
> This is the message I get in  BE, when I click the LDAP Integration icon:
>
> Frontend:
> 3 users
> Backend:
> 4 users
> ldap://riont101.home.net:
> 0 users

I am having a similar problem, but what's REALLY weird is that I can
actually log in to the FE and BE with LDAP! It's only the BE module that
appears affected by this problem (for me, anyway). Even user and group
attributes synchronize when I log in, as configured in the extension.

But in my case -- also a departure -- I am getting the "Can't bind to
server from the BE". I hacked around this by removing the if/die around
the ldap_bind call, but then I get the zero user result you describe.
Throughout, actual user login is unaffected -- so long as I have it set
to automatically import/update the user and/or group(s).

I am using LAMP (FC4, 2.0.54, 4.1.14, 5.8.6) and Typo3 3.8.1.

Not sure why the BE is having problems when the FE is fine... but it
sounds like I'm not totally alone in having issues here. Some details of
my LDAP server parameters, if it helps -- some details changed to
protect the innocent.

   Server : (Windows 2003 Domain Controller)
   Port: 389
   LDAP ver: 3
   base DN: OU=Typo3,DC=my,DC=test,DC=domain,DC=com
   filter: (&(objectClass=user)(objectCategory=person)(memberOf=CN=Typo3
Editors,OU=Groups,DC=my,DC=test,DC=domain,DC=com)(samaccountname=<search>))
   domain: my.test.domain.com
   Use: FE and BE

   User: <duh>
   Password: <duh>
   [ attributes unchanged, except for fax number, which was changed to
'pager' ]

   Use Std Implementation : Checked
   Import/Update on auth: Checked
   others unchecked

I am secretly beginning to wonder if there is something different about
the way the BE and FE are binding to the server, but I haven't read
through all the code yet.

Bill Taroli