[Typo3] Can't Login to BE after install

S*tan deserteur at gmx.net
Wed Nov 16 15:42:10 CET 2005

I have the same problem with one difference: I'm running Apache instead
of IIS.
I guess it has something to do with mysql, because typo3 says
"succesfully connected to mysql server" (in the setup process), but if I
create a new admin-account (no errors in typo3) and check with
phpmyadmin there is no new account. there's just the non-working
admin-account. also, importing the typo3conf/database.sql manually fails
because of too long descriptions in the "static_[..]"-tables (at least
this is what the mysql-server says).
I appreciate any suggestions because I'm totally helpless...