[Typo3] Backup problems

Nate Russell webmaster at int-res.com
Tue Nov 15 15:49:27 CET 2005

Peter Russ wrote:
> Nate Russell wrote:
>
>> Hello List,
>>
>> My company has has the Ready-To Run Server at Schlund. There are lots
>> of options available to us but we unfortunately don't have root
>> access. This means of course that I don't have access to the php.ini
>> file. This is a bummer because I have a rather large site and I am
>> having trouble backing it up. I have tried the w4x_backup extension
>> but I can not open the resulting .gz file when the script is done. I
>> think this is because the php script execution time is too low and our
>> database is too big (around 400mb). This is causing, I think,
>> underlying processes to time out. Like I said, we don't have root
>> access and therefore can not change this value in the php.ini file.
>>
>> Other than getting a different host or hosting package and moving all
>> of our data to a new server, Are there any options I can try to solve
>> my problem?
>>
>> I have already tried deleting the caches before running the backup
>> extension but I got the same results. I would still like use the
>> w4x_backup extension because it offers such an easy solution.
>>
>> Any tips?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Nate Russell
>

> Nate,
>
> 1) you should check if the mysql dumps is created. If the MYSQL Server
> is located on a different host then localhost w4x_backup needs to be
> patched. Then also Dimitries solution will not work. So check first if
> Mysql runs on the same host as your internet site with TYPO3.
>
> 2) 400mb on linux is no problem to backup with mysqldump. Check IF
> mysqldump is available for user access!
>
> 3) As ALL BACKUP is done on OS level PHP execution time should not be
> the problem.
>
> Regs. Peter.

I realized that my first reply didn't really answer the questions:

1. The database is on localhost. When I run the backup it says that a
backup was made but I get the following error: "tar: Removing leading
`/' from member names" I don't know what that means but I asked the list
a while back and a few said it sounded like an underlying process was
timing out. It seems like this would be the case because, like I said,
when I try to open the tar.gz file it does create a folder with a *.sql
data file in it. When I open it it is incomplete. Not all of the tables
have been dumped.

2. I have the option in PHPMyAdmin to dump so I assume this available to
me, no? Is there a better way to check?

3. In our Schlund package there is a set of options under the heading
Performance Server. The list and default settings are as follows:

WebDav:	aktiv
FastCGI:	inaktiv
SSLSupport:	aktiv
Einbindung (integration) von Perl als:	 CGI-Programm /or Module
Einbindung (integration) von PHP als:	 CGI-Programm /or Module
Speichernutzung:	131072 kB
Prozesslaufzeit (Process runtime):	60 Sekunden
Anzahl gleichzeitig ausführbarer Prozesse (Number of simultaneously
executable Processes):	1024

Could changing any of these setting be helpful?

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Nate