[Typo3] Backup problems

Peter Russ peter.russ at 4many.net
Mon Nov 14 21:36:42 CET 2005

Nate Russell wrote:

> Hello List,
>
> My company has has the Ready-To Run Server at Schlund. There are lots of
> options available to us but we unfortunately don't have root access.
> This means of course that I don't have access to the php.ini file. This
> is a bummer because I have a rather large site and I am having trouble
> backing it up. I have tried the w4x_backup extension but I can not open
> the resulting .gz file when the script is done. I think this is because
> the php script execution time is too low and our database is too big
> (around 400mb). This is causing, I think, underlying processes to time
> out. Like I said, we don't have root access and therefore can not change
> this value in the php.ini file.
>
> Other than getting a different host or hosting package and moving all of
> our data to a new server, Are there any options I can try to solve my
> problem?
>
> I have already tried deleting the caches before running the backup
> extension but I got the same results. I would still like use the
> w4x_backup extension because it offers such an easy solution.
>
> Any tips?
>
> Thanks,
> Nate Russell

Nate,

1) you should check if the mysql dumps is created. If the MYSQL Server
is located on a different host then localhost w4x_backup needs to be
patched. Then also Dimitries solution will not work. So check first if
Mysql runs on the same host as your internet site with TYPO3.

2) 400mb on linux is no problem to backup with mysqldump. Check IF
mysqldump is available for user access!

3) As ALL BACKUP is done on OS level PHP execution time should not be
the problem.

Regs. Peter.