[Typo3] [TYPO3-UG US] Newsgroup discussion (was: Re: RTE Bugs or Problems?)

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Sat Nov 12 11:57:04 CET 2005

Hi Gregory & Joey,

>> This is not - I repeat _NOT_ - an official support list for the product
>> TYPO3.
>
> And where do we find such an official support list if we don't make it
> so here?

Right. It _is_ the officially promoted support channel, but that doesn't
mean that there is officially guaranteed support. Like Joey said, it's just
a place of volunteers.

>> And this leads us to the major question: Why would you expect somebody
>> who has got the answers but no questions to come to such a forum?
>
> As a lead in for commercial support? Works for me. We broke 4,000
> registered users last month. Apparently I'm doing something correctly?

If that number is true, I think your forum is quite inactive. Almost every
topic is answered by _you_ only. This has two consequences:

- Since you are the major expert in this forum, all users who want
professional support will hire your company.

- However this will only work as long as the situation remains like that.
What happens if 20% of your 4000 users would answer to these topics?

>> Conclusion: If you want answers from people who got the real knowledge
>> but don't get paid for their help, don't use a forum.
>
> That statement contradicts http://mediatech.net/typo3_forum.html

See above. This forum of 4000 users (did it just start?) has only 1621
messages. So I wonder

- if it is so new (but why does it have 4000 users already?)
- or if it is too inconvenient to use?!

> Newsreaders are great too and compliment a forum nicely... maybe we need
> a forum/newsreader :)

If a newsgroup <-> forum gateway was possible, that would be nice, yes.

Regards, michael

PS: Another reason why I like the "official" newsgroups/mailinglists is that
it keeps the whole community centralized. For example I just had a look at
your forum. In one message [1] which I would never have found without your
link, you write that you improved some of the documentation.
I just wonder, why you didn't send it back to me so that I can improve the
upstream files, too?

[1]
http://mediatech.net/typo3_forum.html?&cat_uid=2&conf_uid=8&thread_uid=297&view=single_thread
--