[Typo3] RTE Bugs or Problems?

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Sat Nov 12 00:26:34 CET 2005

> About support, I have become more then frustrated these past two
>   months. Out of numerous threads I have started, asking for some
> help on some problems, I have only gotten a couple replies, from
> probably only two people in total.  It gets frustrating, especially
> with such a system with a big learning curve.
>
> I also notice that Typo3 wants to extent to a US market.  I have used
> other US born CMS' and I am myself a US citizen and I can tell you now
> that one of the most important things typo3 can do is to make their
> support more effective.

Well - it might be a big surprise for you but the support for TYPO3 is very
effective.
Maybe you are looking for it at the wrong place.

There seems to be some basic misunderstanding on what these lists/newsgroups
are made for.
This is not - I repeat _NOT_ - an official support list for the product
TYPO3.
It's a newsgroup where TYPO3 _users_ (and sometimes developers) help each
other on a voluntarily base.
Especially people from the US don't seem to understand that there can't be a
universal and official TYPO3 support since there is no company selling this
product so nobody is responsible for this service or gets paid for it.
If you want professional support go and find a TYPO3 consultancy in your
area and buy their services just like thousands of satisfied customers in
Europe did.

> I know its free, but for one, I find this
> mailing list system very hard to use.  I had to download a mailing
> list program, subscribe, configure everything, download all the
> headers, and then post one question which sometimes goes unanswered.
> This is not fun for someone who is used to real forums like phpbb or
> vbulliten.

I don't get the point. - Do US people really believe it is easier to use a
webbased forum where you have to:
1. Go to the page
2. Look for the right category
3. Look for some postings matching your criteria
4. If you found something similar post a question there
5. If you found nothing similar post a new question
6. Sit and wait
7. Go to the page
8. Look for answers to your postings
9. Reply to these answers
10. Go to 6.
????

Even if you can enable E-Mail notification the whole process is very time
consuming.

And this leads us to the major question: Why would you expect somebody who
has got the answers but no questions to come to such a forum?
And don't tell me something like: Big companies are using support forums, so
TYPO3 has to do it too.
The difference is, that big companies are paying lots of money to their
support teams so these people can make a living just by answering questions
in forums.

Conclusion: If you want answers from people who got the real knowledge but
don't get paid for their help, don't use a forum.

And BTW: You don't have to subscribe to any mailinglist if you switch to a
tool that almost every IT professional I know of is using: It's called a
"newsreader".
And if you are too lazy to download and install a professional newsreader
you can still use things like Outlook Express' built in newsreader.

Main advantage: With just a few clicks you can get all the useful
information directly on your PC. No need to visit a website or look for
replies - it's all just there!
And since almost every newsreader can handle threads and display them in a
tree style this is much more comfortable than any forum I have seen.

Did you ever find interesting things like news.netfielders.de
providing you with the following groups (I don't list non english groups):
typo3.design
typo3.dev
typo3.english
typo3.install.XXX ---> 4 groups for different OS
typo3.projects.XXX ---> 18 groups for different extensions and/or projects
typo3.ug.us

They all together offer you a knowledgebase of over 100.000 posts that you
can use to find your answers.

You should give it a try - or do you still want a forum?

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.openbc.com/go/invuid/Jo_Hasenau