[Typo3] Page Content Reuse

Bill Taroli bill.taroli at billsden.org
Tue Nov 8 22:18:47 CET 2005

Vincent wrote:
> On 2005-11-08, Bill Taroli <bill.taroli at billsden.org> wrote:
>
>> Bill Taroli wrote:
>>
>>> I am new to TYPO3 and am in the process of putting together a few sites.
>>> So far so good, but I've reached a point where it would be very helpful
>>> to be able to reuse some page content items in multiple pages. For
>>> example, I may have a tool that may apply to multiple product versions,
>>> but it would  be wasteful to re-enter a separate page content item in
>>> several pages.
>>>

>> Argh! Chalk up another "I just answered my own question" posting... I
>> kept overlooking "Insert Records". My bad.
>>

> Also, if you use *TemplaVoila*, it has a nice feature for this that is
> even quicker and easier

Interesting. For now, though, I'm trying to keep things a little simpler
by just using CSS-styled TS templates. I may play around with TV and see
whether it might be a better way to go later on... it is still
officially beta, right?

I have an interesting behavior with this that I would like to follow up
on though. Namely, it looks like when I update the base record of this
linked content, the references don't get recached? This doesn't really
honor the original intent of linking the content... namely, that I have
only one copy that needs to be updated to affect it wherever it appears.

What I have is a pair simple text content records that I have included
on two other pages via "insert record" (one record that includes both of
the original content record references). When I update the actual
records, the linked content records aren't removed from the cache. I
either have to go and touch the "insert record" or empty the cache,
which seems counter to my goal.

Is there a better way to accomplish this, or could I have an issue in my
setup? If TV would help avoid this problem, I'd certainly consider it.
But from my newbie view, that just seems to be ramping the learning
curve even higher at the moment. ;-)

Bill