[Typo3] Cannot solve problem with server memory

Diederik van Veen crz_06 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 1 18:10:52 CET 2005

since today several pages display an error warning about lack of memory
(only on pages that have a gallery plugin inside them). To be more specific:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to
allocate 1024 bytes) in
/home/users/o/o/user/www/typo3_src-3.5.0/t3lib/class.t3lib_div.php on line
1829

Having read the FAQ on this topic and tried all of their suggestions, all of
which failed, i'm kinda lost. So hope some of you can assist me on this
matter.

1) First I increased the memory using the install tool: >
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['setMemoryLimit'] = 64; , but no effect (cleared all
cache)

Another suggestion is to use insert at the top of files which have memory
problems a line:
ini_set ("memory_limit" "16M"); This has to be modified for just 2 files:
index.php in the Typo3 root directory, and index.php in the directory where
the Extension Manager resides /typo3/mod/tools/em/). BUT I read it is better
than using ini_set is using the typo3 internal setting for the memory limit:
$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['SYS']['setMemoryLimit'] = 64; by setting this in your
localconf.php typo3 will try to use ini_set to set the memory limit to 64 MB
(Same step as I allready did)

2) Second I tried to increase the memory limit via an .htaccess comand in
the root directory, but this resulted in an internal server error for all
pages

-------used .htaccess-file---------
<FilesMatch "\.(php|html?)$">
php_value memory_limit 64M
</FilesMatch>

3) Last option I can figure out is to modify the php.ini, but we don't have
access to the PHP folder (commercial hosting). But knowing these guys they
would probably won't do that ;(