[Typo3] is typo3 suitable for your purposes?

Gabriel Anast gabriel at anast.org
Fri May 27 01:39:51 CEST 2005

> ...is typo3 suitable for a site like playboy?

> But apart from the moral discussion...

I always wondered what would happen when this came up. I was thinking
about it (more) though, and what follows is *way off topic* for this
list, however:

In the "real" world we have definite jurisdictions. The GPL for instance
says (roughly) this is copyrighted work, it is actionably protected by
relevant copyright laws, however, the copyright holder has granted you a
license to use the material in certain ways (read the GPL, etc) for free!

The use of the GPL (or any license) appeals to the enforcement agencies
of various jurisdictions depending on where the material originated,
where it is being used, etc.

So, in the case of Typo3, Kasper did not choose to invent a new license
that extended the GPL with restrictions on types of usage, he simply
asserted a request that the software be used a certain way in accordance
with his belief (of all things) in Jesus as God. The odd thing here is
that there is definitely a jurisdictional appeal!

Kasper will not sue you, or take you to court. He might just pray about
it and leave it for his god to deal with. The important thing to
consider is the *domain* of his request; to what jurisdiction does this
request appeal, and what is the potential liability? Having dedicated
his life and life's work to a god, and having made an appeal in that
god's behalf... I personally would "tread lightly"--if you know what I mean.

Finally, even if you choose to use Typo3 for this site, saying, "is
typo3 suitable for a site like playboy?" is rather inflammatory. Kasper
has freely given over 7 years of his life so you can have a free dev
tool, and with it he mentions a few personal requests to which you more
or less respond, "I don't believe that, so kiss my ass." It would be
more tactful in the future to start with a subject like, "is typo3
suitable for a high volume site?"

Incidentally there has been a lot of discussion on this very topic
including server clustering, php output-caching, specific volume
questions, etc. Remember to search the archives before you post.

--gabe