[Typo3] is typo3 suitable for a site like playboy?

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Thu May 26 23:48:54 CEST 2005

>>> well.. not to be an advocate in such questions...
>>> but PlayBoy is quite different from porno-pedophily!
>>>
>>> if i'm totally against the latter (i bring over campaigns against
>>> new slavery in the world and other things), i think that some soft
>>> sex doesn't hurt :D
>>>

>> It would still be sexually explicit, wouldn't it?
>>
> Some people like nude pictures, others dont. Off course i respect
> that very much. But if you dont like it, then dont look there.
>
> But apart from the moral discussion, i meant if typo3 can handle the
> large amounts of traffic?
> Can anyony give me some pointers on that?

Well - the question is not if TYPO3 can handle it.
Can your server(s) handle it? - TYPO3 is more or less a huge PHP Array.
As long as you got enough processing power and memory to offer it will serve
you well.
And since the real traffic regarding videos and pictures has nothing to do
with TYPO3 itself (which is just building the HTML around those items) this
should be no problem.
There are TYPO3 installations around that handle a larger number of
pageimpressions per minute/hour/day than you might be expecting for your
"playboylike" site.
So IMHO it's all about bandwidth, RAM and CPU speed.
Depending on the load you might consider a second server (or even more) that
will deliver the videos and the original high res pictures, while the TYPO3
server will just build the site and the thumbnails.

And regarding Kaspers wish IMHO there is a big difference between nude
pictures and sexually explicit material (pornography). I don't consider
playboy like stuff as "sexually explicit" but that's just my point of view.
On the other hand it's a wish you might respect or not - it's your decision.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.openbc.com/go/invuid/Jo_Hasenau