[Typo3] RTE replaces <div> with <p>

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Mon May 23 12:45:22 CEST 2005

>> Well - once and for all:
>> RTE is an acronym for _Rich TEXT Editor_!
>>
>> It's been created not for tables, not for pictures, not for
>> bulletlists and not for all the other stuff most of the people tend
>> to be dropping into it. It's for Text elements and the corresponding
>> markups like strong, em and it might be used for links from the text
>> to other elements, pages and URLs - but that's it!
>>
>> TYPO3 is a content management system that offers lots of different
>> content elements for all the other stuff.
>>
>> If you want to insert such a horrible piece of HTML-code (and
>> believe me: you should think it over again!) you should use a
>> content element called HTML for that.
>>
>> So don't blame the RTE if it's reformatting this code in a way you
>> don't like.
>> The simple reason is that an RTE is not the right tool for the job
>> and you are expecting too much here ...
>>

> This "horrible piece of HTML code" is created *with* the RTE (htmlArea
> RTE)...  I turned on the source view in htmlArea and copied the source
> to my mail.

Well - you posted 2 different codes - one with and one without <P> tags ...
so I guessed the second one has been created with the RTE.

> How do I tell the content providers that Typo3 has a great RTE,
> creating correct HTML code for tables (the source in htmlArea), but
> that they have to write the HTML code for tables by hand?

First:
Don't tell them to create tables with a text editor. Or would you tell them
to create tables using Wordpad instead of Excel?
Second:
Don't tell them they have to write the code by hand. There are different
content elements and extensions for that.

I just thought this was code produced outside TYPO3 and then pasted into the
RTE. And then it would be better to insert it as HTML.

> An other consequence: no more tt_news articles with tables...

This is true for the moment - but you could make a feature request to have
tt_news handle additional records.
Or - staying with "misusing" things like you do with the RTE -  you could
use other things than tt_news to create the news.
A news system can easily be done with HMENU special, some small userFuncs
and simple pages containing content elements.

BTW: having only one RTE and no content elements with tt_news is IMHO the
only lack the whole tt_news concept has to this day.

Joey

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.openbc.com/go/invuid/Jo_Hasenau