[Typo3] Dynamic & complex searchform

Piotr S reset999 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 20:34:25 CEST 2005

Hi all,
I've recently started building a webpage in Typo and have tried to make a custom search form with TypoScript. Unfortunately I can't seem to get it right :(
Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:
the searchform has a couple of drop-down type select fields which are logically related to one another.
I need to wrap each one with an 'onchange' javascript which will resubmit the form to the same page. I also need to somehow link the searchform to my custom database content-tables and make Typo fill the drop-down selectors with values from these custom content tables.
It seems like a mouthful... but here's an illustration:

Let's say I have 2 custom content tables:
CONT_A & CONT_B which are related to each other with an indeterminate relationship i.e. many-to-many.

The searchform will contain 2 selectors:
A & B
Now, A is filled with values from CONT_A.
Then, I need Typo to fill in B with values from CONT_B but with the condition that A is equal to something (say A = 'a').
Then, If I select another value from the selector box A, the whole page reloads with the new A value (say A = 'a2'), and with a new set of values for B.
Finally, there is a 'SUBMIT' button, which actually performs the search given A = ? and B = ?
and displays the results on a totally different page.

To make things even funnier, I need to do the same relationship, but the other way around!
So that if B changes, the whole page reloads with a new set of values in A!

I can code all this in PHP, sure. The question is: can I code it in a TS template or maybe do a mix of both? If yes, then how?

- Piotr S (reset)