[Typo3] foreign lookup tables and multi column/field updates

Frank Schepers fschepers at gmail.com
Thu May 19 21:46:25 CEST 2005

Hi,

I have created an extension that uses a database table and where backend
users can add records (rows) to. After storing the records, these
records can be rendered in the front-end. Nothing special, just the
regular stuff.

One of the fields (columns) in the extension is called 'city'. With the
help of a foreign table backend users can lookup the required name of
the city and copy the contents into the custom table. All defined in
TCA.php and works just like the Typo docs say.

My problem is that I not only want to copy the 'city' field but also the
  'state' field when the required city has been selected. The foreign
table is provided with the columns 'city', 'state' and 'zip'. Double and
triple hits of a cityname in the table can occur e.g.:

city         state
Springfield  IL
Springfield  MI
Springfield  MO

When selecting Springfield (Michigan) I want the contents of the city
column "Springfield" _and_ the state column "MI" copied to the custom
table (as defined in the TCA.php and ext_tables.php of the extension)
with the same column names. So selecting one item in the selector box
should create a multi-column update in the custom table.

Is this doable in typo3?

Thanks in advance.

Frank