[Typo3] TYPO3.org moves to new location - help us testing!

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Thu May 12 11:47:57 CEST 2005

Hi folks,

as you might know (when you followed the dicussions in the TYPO3.org team
mailing list [1]) TYPO3.org moves to a new location. punkt.de provides four
brand-new servers and during the last weeks we organized all the neccesary
steps to do the transition.

=== Help us testing the new servers ============================

Now all preparations for moving TYPO3.org to the new servers are completed.
We are currently running some stress tests and invite the community to put
some load on the new servers by checking all pages and try if everything
works.

If you plan to put heavy load on the new servers by using a certain tool,
please ask Wolfgang Zenker (zenker at punkt.de) before you do that so he can
watch the logs and statistics while you do that.

To test the site, just direct your browser to [2] and don't wonder about the
content - this copy of TYPO3.org is a few weeks old, that's also why now
recently updated extensions appear in the extensions list.

You can also test the Extension Repository (TER) by adding this line to your
localconf.php:

$TYPO3_CONF_VARS['EXT']['em_TERurls'
[0]='http://www.t3o.punkt.de/index.php?id=t3_extrep';

Don't be shy, upload extensions if you like, it's just a test site.

=== The schedule ========================================

Friday 13.05.2005:

        16:00 CET: Disable uploads and FE users
approx. 16:30 CET: Dump and zip the site
approx. 19:00 CET: Transfer tgz to punkt.de
        22:00 CET: Switch DNS to new servers

For a short time during the transition phase we will have to disable
uploading of new extensions and login for frontend users.

After the switch it may take up to 24 hours until you can access the new
servers, that depends on your ISP. But even during that time you can work
like usually - you just can't upload extensions or login on TYPO3.org.

If you have any question about the transition please write an email to
typo3-team-typo3org(AT)lists.netfielders.de.

Christian Jul Jensen <julle at typo3.org> and I <robert at typo3.org> will monitor
the transition and Wolfgang Zenker <zenker at punkt.de> cares for the
technical / hosting part.

Thank you to all the people helping with this transition, especially to
punkt.de for providing these 4 brand-new servers and of course to all other
companies hosting lists and websites for the TYPO3 project.