[Typo3] I cannot upload to any folders!

Christopher tombedlam at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 05:53:13 CEST 2005

Hi,

--- Eric Blom <ericb at piap.com> wrote:
> the folder will have to be writeable by the user your web server is
> running under.
>
> Although it is not a good longer term solution try chmod 777 for both
> the folder and the file you are trying to change.
>
> Eric
>
> On May 11, 2005, at 7:52 PM, Amir Mualem wrote:
>
> > I am beginning to get annoyed from these typo3 folders.  I am
> > attempting to upload the new template html file for tt_news however it
> > wont allow me to upload to the folder it should be in.  The whole
> > tt_news folder is "operation not permitted" for everything.  I notice
> > the chmod is 755 however I cannot change it because it says operation
> > not permitted again.
> >
> > Before the username for the folders were "?" but then when I tried
> > setting a UID it said operation not permitted again and then the
> > question mark changed to "nobody".
> >
> > So now I am at a loss of solutions on how to fix this problem.  How
> > are you guys supposed to edit typo3 if you cant even access its files
> > and folders?!

Easy answer: you don't. Putting altered files into extension-created
directories is generally a bad idea; what happens when you upgrade the
extension and the files are overwritten?

Most (I'm tempted to say 'all') extensions that rely on external templates
provide a means to specify a different path to the extension template. You
can find out what the TS template object for the tt_news extension with -
you guessed it - the TSOB. By convention, people usually put Typo3
extension files somewhere in the fileadmin directory, but you could put
them about anywhere.

Incidentally, the basic question has more to do with *nix permissions and
ownership and not all that much to do with Typo3; the php process on your
webserver is running as 'nobody' and the user that you access the server as
does not have permissions to write to those directories.

As mentioned, you can chmod the problem directory to 777 (i.e. rwx rwx
rwx),  but this may be less secure than you would like (since, i.e. it
makes files 'world-writable'). Another option (slightly better) is to have
your host recursively change the *group* of those directories that Typo3
needs to be able to write to - typo3conf, typo3temp, fileadmin, uploads and
maybe typo3/ext - to 'nobody' so that the php process can write to them
(note that I said recursively; the group of the parent directory *and* its
contents must all be changed). This is only a permanent solution though if
your directory structure does not change often, since every time you add a
new directory, you will have to get your host to change its group as well.

For more (waaaaay more) info, try a Google search like this one:

http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+%2B+permissions+%2B+php

And for more Typo3-specific info, try the Install doc:

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_inst_upgr/

-Christopher