[Typo3] [tt_news] wrapping non-archived (latest?) news

Charles Rector crector at iexposure.com
Sun May 8 22:43:29 CEST 2005

Joey,

My archive setting is on "Don't Care" so all items show up. I have read
up on "if" quite a lot, but it is proving difficult to manage.

Perhaps I am going about this the wrong way.

I do not want to set the archive dates for all my news items -- I have
hundreds of them. But if I did set them, this code does what I want:

   displayList.title_stdWrap {
     wrap = <span style="color:red; font-weight: bold">New!</span>&nbsp;|
     if {
       value.data = date:U
       isGreaterThan.field = archivedate
     }
   }

Which basically says, if the archive date for the news item is in the
future, that means it's a "new" item.

However, I need to be able to *calculate* when a news item is old (in a
similar way tt_news calculates to determine when to archive a news item.)

In order to do that, I have to perform some math in the .data field, but
from testing I don't think it allows mathematical expressions.

For example, this does not work:

   displayList.title_stdWrap {
     wrap = <span style="color:red; font-weight: bold">New!</span>&nbsp;|
     if {
       # calculate how old the news item is (UNIX time)
       value.data = date:U - field:datetime
       # if a full day (24 hours) is greater than how old the news is
       isGreaterThan = 24*60*60
     }
   }

If the news item was 12 hours old, it would get decorated with "New!".
If the news item was 36 hours old, it would not.

Do you see what I am trying to do?